Ivoclar Vivadent Total Etch - Assortment & Refill
Total Etch by Ivoclar Vivadent is an etching gel containing 37% phosphoric acid. It is used to etch enamel and dentin to create a strong bond. It can be used in conjunction with sealants, direct restorative materials and also for adhesive bonding of indirect restorations such as all ceramic crowns. The gel has a consistent viscosity unlike other etching gels in which the viscosity may be impaired when the material is pressed through the tight nozzle of the dispensing tip. The ideal viscosity of the etching gel ensures that the material does not become runny and increases difficulty of application. This is ensured by a special filler composition. The bright blue colour of the gel provides a high degree of contrast to the tooth which aids in easy identification after rinsing. This minimizes the risk of over-etching. The delivery syringe has an octagonal shape facilitating application and ensures that the syringe does not roll away. The angled metal tip ensures exact application of the gel. A special displacer has been incorporated to prevent material wastage. The product is available in a Jumbo syringe used to refill syringes, which offers a cost-effective solution while keeping adequate amounts of the etching gel in stock. The Luer Lock system, enhances the tight lock
- Total etch should be stored at a temperature between 2-28oC
- Recommended – Large inventory to be refrigerated at 2-8 oC
- Total etch should be applied to enamel and dentin and allowed to react for 15 seconds.
- Rinse off the etchant using a water spray and dry the tooth surfaces.
- Avoid excessive drying of the dentin.
- A chalky white appearance should be seen on the etched enamel surface.
- If this appearance is not seen, then repeat using a shorter time
- If the tooth surface is accidently contaminated with saliva or other fluids, repeat procedure with a reaction time of 10 seconds.
- Unprepared enamel should be etched for 30-60 seconds
- Selective etch of enamel should be done for 15-30 seconds
Refilling empty syringes:
The Jumbo syringe (30 g) can be used to refill the empty 2 gram syringes up to 15 times.
- Wear gloves and protective goggles safety concerns (although the 2 gram syringes are equipped with a plunger safety stop)
- The screw cap is removed from the 30-gram Jumbo Syringe and the empty 2 gram syringe.
- The tips of the two syringes are joined using a clockwise twisting motion.
- The small syringe is refilled by steadily pully back the plunger of the small syringe.
- Simultaneously, slight pressure is exerted on the plunger of the Jumbo Syringe to support the process.
- The syringes are disconnected after the refilling process is complete, using a counter clockwise motion.
Total etch is used to etch the enamel and dentin for the following purposes:
- Composite restorations
- Adhesive luting of indirect restorations
- Bonding orthodontic brackets
- Sealing pits and fissres
- Excellent handling properties
- Quick and effective application
- The blue colour can be differentiated from the tooth easily
- The special displacer prevents material wastage
- Jumbo syringe to refill syringes makes it more cost effective
- 37% phosphoric acid
- Consistent viscosity
- Bright blue colour provides contrast to the tooth
- Special filler composition
- Octagonal finger rest
- Angled metal tip
- Luer lock system
- Economical use